Thursday, April 21, 2011

Welcome To Alameda, Ca.

I felt right at home when I drove back into Alameda. My windows were down, my music was very loud and upon entering, I had recognized a few people already. Located 45 minutes North from Santa Clara it takes about an hour to get there. The drive seems to go fast as you drive by places such as San Leandro, Hayward and Oakland.
This is one of the best things about this town, in my opinion. Everybody knows almost everybody. I took the long way home and drove down one of my favorite streets: Park Street. When a person visits Alameda, Park street is a MUST. There are many shops, restaurants, and places to hang out with friends. The street is very long, and is usually very busy especially on Friday nights. Walking up and down this street brings me old memories as I used to spend time with my friends and family all throughout high school and elementary school. One of my favorite places to eat breakfast, lunch, or dinner is " La Penca Azul" which is located on the corner of Park street and Santa Clara. ( Tip: It is better to go during a weekday because even though there may be a long wait to sit down, it will be much faster than on the weekend). This authentic Mexican restaurant is famous for its margaritas, fajitas and burritos. On Sundays, they provide a delicious brunch filled with eggs, chorizo, ham, tortillas, bacon, and "pan dulce" which is the Mexican sweet bread. Usually, there is a very long wait to eat at this restaurant during any time of the day, but my family always gets in fast because we are friends with the owners. ( Tip: In Alameda, if you the owner of any restaurant or shop, you are most likely to get a discount or some type of advantage over others). After drinking a delicious margarita ( the strawberry margaritas are my favorite) and a carnitas burrito with extra picco de gallo, most people walk down the street to "Tucker's Ice Cream."

Tucker's is located on Part street as well, just one block down from " La Penca Azul." This is Alameda's most popular ice cream parlor and has been serving Alameda since 1941. They have ice cream, yogurt, sorbets, sherbets, FRESH fudge, cookies, ice cream cakes, and coffee. What other great way is there to end your night with a scoop of ice cream or a sunday? My favorite sunday is toasted almond with hot fudge and strawberries. Even though I can't finish it all alone, I get someone to help me.

These are my two favorite places to eat in my hometown. Every time I visit, I have to make a stop at both places. I have a feeling I will be eating dinner on Park street tonight, and I cannot wait.
Well that's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment